If you want to impress, this decadent cake is what you’re looking for. This cake has everything, it is crunchy, creamy, sweet and O.M.G it gorgeous.
prep time | 25 minutes
cook time | 1 hour
total time | 4 hours
servings | 10
CHOCOLATE CARAMELIZED PUFFED RICE
- 3 cups puffed rice
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoon teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (110 grams) milk or dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup creamy Jubli® Honey sesame spread
- 1 ⅔ cups heavy cream
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- ¾ cup + 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 2/3 cups (220 grams) semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Leftover chocolate caramelized puffed rice
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Coat the puffed rice: Put the puffed rice in a large bowl. Put the corn syrup in a small heatproof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then pour the warm corn syrup over the puffed rice. Sprinkle with the sugar, then mix with a spatula until the rice is evenly coated. (You may find that using your hands is easier).
- Bake the puffed rice for 12-15 minutes, until golden-brown and caramelized. Remove from the oven and let the puffed rice cool completely.
- Carefully peel away the silicone mat or parchment. In a large bowl. With your hands, break the puffed rice into smaller pieces.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Microwave in 10 to 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until just melted—don’t let it get too hot. Pour the melted chocolate over the puffed rice and fold with a spatula until coated.
- Shape the puffed rice: Transfer the puffed rice into a 8-inch (20-centimeter) cake ring. Press the coated puffed rice into the prepared cake pan, about ¼ inch (6 millimeters) thick. Save about 1/2 cup for garnish. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Make the Halva mousse: Combine the gelatin and cold water in a small bowl and stir with a spoon until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Put the milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Make the custard: In a large bowl gently whisk the egg yolks and sugar until combined. While whisking, slowly pour in a little bit of the hot milk to temper the eggs and whisk until combined. Whisk in a bit more of the milk, then pour the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk.
- Cook the custard over medium-low, gently stirring with a spatula, until thick enough to coat the back of the spatula, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. While the custard is still warm, add the gelatin mixture, then Jubli butter, and stir until combined. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes, or refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk), whip the cream on medium speed until it holds soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Slowly pour the custard into the whipped cream a little at a time, gently folding with a spatula until just combined.
- Assemble the cake: Pour the mousse into the cake ring, making sure there are no air bubbles. To get rid of any air bubbles, lightly tap the sheet pan that the cake is sitting on and the air bubbles will rise to the top and pop. Use an offset spatula to level the mousse. Freeze the cake until solid, about 3 hours or up to overnight.
- Make the dark chocolate ganache: Combine the cream and the milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Slowly pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the butter and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Unmold the cake – Gently push down on the cake ring to remove it, then transfer the cake to a wire rack over a sheet tray. Working quickly while the cake is still frozen, glaze it with the chocolate ganache, leveling it off with an offset spatula. Transfer the cake to a cake board or plate and top as desired with the chocolate reserved caramelized puffed rice and toasted sesame seeds
- Place in the refrigerator and let cool for at least three hours before serving.
- Slice and serve using a knife dipped in hot water.