What are your favorite snacks to bring with you on-the-go? We love walking all over the place, so we’re always searching/looking for ways to make healthy, nut-free, gluten-free treats that stay yummy without a fridge and are super portable.
If you are unfamiliar with K-bars they are bars made with corn syrup, sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate. They are amazing, but OMG the amount of sugar, and what always bothered us is the nuts. We have tried a lot of things to make these bars a little healthier, but nothing has ever worked this well. it just amazes me because the only sweetener in these bars is Jubli and dates.
Realizing that cornflakes are not technically the healthiest cereal out there (it’s just what we use for K-bars) and if you want something healthier, go for it. We think pretty much any unsweetened cereal will work here and if you want to go gluten-free take a look at our Oats, Dates & Jubli Butter Bars recipe.
prep time | 10 minutes
cook time | 5 minutes
total time | 2 hours 25 minutes
servings | 20
- 1 cup packed medjool dates pitted + chopped
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup Jubli Honey Sesame Butter
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk coconut milk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups corn flakes (use gluten free corn flakes for a gluten free bar)
HARD CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 1 ½ cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1 Tbsp Jubli Honey or Cocoa Sesame Butter
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the dates and salt to the bowl of a food processor and process until they form a thick paste. Add the jubli butter and 1 tablespoons milk, process until smooth and creamy. Scoop the mixture out and into a microwave safe bowl, microwave 30 seconds, stir and microwave another 30 seconds. Continue until the mixture is warm and melty. If the mixture seems too stiff add 1 more tablespoon milk, but no more. If you add too much milk the cereal will become soggy.
- Add the cereal to a large bowl. Slowly mix in the Jubli butter mixture until thoroughly combined. Press the cereal into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Melt the chocolate using a Bain-marie or Microwave the chocolate on 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Spoon the melted chocolate over the bars in an even layer. Cover the pan and place them in the fridge for 1 1/2 -2 hours or until firm.
- Remove the bars 10 minutes prior to serving, cut and store in the fridge.